COVID-19 Resources for Language Instruction
CARLA's excellent Resources to Support Language Teaching Online document includes a wealth of practical resource links
Explore the Language Teaching Conferences & Workshops list. The Language Resource Centers around the are devoting many workshops, webinars, and other resources to supporting language instruction through the COVID-19 period.
LC Resources for World Language Faculty
- ibtiKart Instructional Resources Cart a low-tech cart full of buzzers, white boards, playdoh, and many other supplies to support student engagement. Available to all language instructors at UVA. See the ibtiKart guide.
- VR, AR, and Immersive Technologies and Language Learning virtual reality headsets and supporting pedagogical materials, 360 degree cameras, and support for integrating immersive learning technologies in the classroom.
- Our VR for Language Learning guide is often updated, given the quickly-changing nature of these technologies and their pedagogical applications.
- Here is a list of the apps available on the six (6) Oculus Go headsets we have. We welcome requests for additional apps!
- Here are some activity ideas for using VR and immersive 360 video in language courses.
- Here is a guide to editing 360 degree videos, using Adobe Premiere (available in the LC).
- Space for Language Activities Language Commons & Alcove spaces can be used for classes and activities
- Activity Awards small funding opportunities for cocurricular activities
- Language-Friendly Classrooms a limited number of rooms designed to promote active, collaborative learning in language course
- UVA Course Materials for select UVA language courses
UVA Resources for Learning, Teaching, and Technology
Learning Design and Technology (LD&T) A&S faculty support group created to collaborate with and support faculty as they explore how to incorporate innovative pedagogies and instructional technologies into their courses.
- Arts & Sciences Studios & Equipment Reservations equipment, spaces, resources, and support for audio/video production and post-production
- Center for Teaching Excellence providing innovative workshops, programming, and consultations for UVa faculty
- Institute of the Humanities and Global Cultures promoting Humanities research, programming, and events related to Global Cultures
- Institute of World Languages information about UVa language programs, programs, events, grants, and more
Tech Tools for Language Teachers
- Yale University's Center for Language Study and the Arts Multimedia Language Facility at McGill University excellent lists of free and low-cost tech tools for language learners and teachers (audio & video development, screencasting, etc)
- University of Central Florida's Fundamentals of Technology for Educators with Dr. Kelvin Thompson a web-based course with publicly-accessible modules for those interested in educational technology
- UVA instructor support resources
- Course Design Resources
- McGill University's Teaching Resources a collection of teaching resources, organized thematically around core topics in teaching and learning
Assessing Language Proficiency and Intercultural Competence
The Language Commons has compiled a list of common proficiency scales and assessment instruments for evaluating language proficiency and intercultural competence.
The Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center at Georgetown University "aims to provide leadership, scholarship, and outreach in the practices of FL assessment and program evaluation to foreign language teachers, program administrators, and researchers in diverse educational settings." They offer research, resources, and professional development opportunities related to language evaluation.
Teaching Materials and Methods
- The InterCom Newsletter, produced by the University of Oregon’s Center for Applied Second Language Studies, is a weekly enewsletter that contains a curated selection of language teaching activity ideas for K-20 world language courses. Also includes recent research and professional development announcements
- COERLL (Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning) features free, open access material in 16 languages
- Foreign Language Teaching Methods video series. "Foreign Language Teaching Methods focuses on 12 different aspects of language teaching, each taught by a different expert instructor. The site contains video footage from an actual methods course held at the University of Texas at Austin. This flexible resource is designed to be used by foreign language teachers as a component of a classroom methods course or as a stand-alone course for independent learners."
- Second Language Acquisition Research Journals a list maintained by the Georgetown Department of Linguistics
- Further Reading bibliography of select works available at UVA
- Language Resource Centers sixteen US Language Resource Centers provide access expertise, materials, processional development, and research.