The A&S Language Lab is located in New Cabell hall room 299A. The lab opened in July of 2016 following the installation of the Sony SANS Virtuoso-Soloist System. The lab is a part of the Language Commons and managed by its parent organization, Learning Design & Technology.
The lab is open every weekday from 9am-5pm. You may contact the Language Lab Coordinator for requests that do not fall within normal hours, or if you have special circumstances that need accommodation. See "Make a Reservation" for details regarding how instructors can place reservations and insure that time in the lab is successful and productive.
The Current Configuration:
- 24 Dell OptiPlex 7440 student PC stations
- Central Dell OptiPlex Minitower 7040 instructor station
- 25 SANS SHS-100 headphones
- Two instructor monitors, mounted on a sit-stand desk
- Three student sit and stand desks
- Large Sharp wall monitor
Software Available in the Lab:
- SANS Virtuoso (Quickstart Guide)
- SANS Sony Soloist (Quickstart Guide)
- Subtitle Edit (Quickstart Guide)
- Reaper (Quickstart Guide)
- Kaltura Capture Space Lite
- VLC Media Player
- Microsoft Office Products
Each student station is numbered from 1 through 24 as shown in the diagram below. Teacher station is located in front of student stations 1-3.
Popular Lab Activities:
- Student paired activities in their target language
- Conference\Group activities in the students target language
- Collection of student individual, paired and group activities for review and assessment
- Subtitle projects with Subtitle Edit software
- Audio Dubbing Activities with Reaper software
- Oral exams both individual and paired
- Listening activities
- Pronunciation practice
Contact us to learn more about student-centered learning activities in the Language Lab.
Getting Started in the Lab
First-time users of the lab should schedule a consultation with the Language Lab Coordinator to develop a plan for activities, and to familiarize themselves with the new technological capabilities of the various software available in the lab. Consultations are done with groups or individuals.