Our world language teaching & learning resource guide is under construction. Email us to suggest a resource!
Professional Growth & Development
- Visit our Blog to find out about upcoming professional development events at UVA, online, and around the country. You can also learn more through the External Organizations listed below.
- Learning Design and Technology (LD&T) A&S faculty support group created to collaborate with and support faculty as they explore how to incorporate innovative pedagogies and instructional technologies into their courses.
- Wilson Studios & Equipment Reservations equipment, spaces, resources, and support for audio/video production and post-production
- Center for Teaching Excellence providing innovative workshops, programming, and consultations for UVa faculty
- Institute of the Humanities and Global Cultures promoting Humanities research, programming, and events related to Global Cultures
- Institute of World Languages information about UVa language programs, programs, events, grants, and more
Teaching Language & Culture
- Foreign Language Teaching Methods video series. "Foreign Language Teaching Methods focuses on 12 different aspects of language teaching, each taught by a different expert instructor. The site contains video footage from an actual methods course held at the University of Texas at Austin. This flexible resource is designed to be used by foreign language teachers as a component of a classroom methods course or as a stand-alone course for independent learners."
- Proficiency Standards and Frameworks
- Course Design Resources
- Backward Design an introduction to the concepts and steps of “backward design” as outlined in Wiggins & McTighe’s Understanding by Design (2005) from Vanderbilt University’s Center for Teaching.
- McGill University's Teaching Resources a collection of teaching resources, organized thematically around core topics in teaching and learning
- The Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center at Georgetown University
- Second Language Acquisition Research Journals a list maintained by the Georgetown Department of Linguistics
- Further Reading bibliography of select works available at UVA
- Language Resource Centers sixteen US Language Resource Centers provide access expertise, materials, processional development, and research.
Technology in Language & Culture Teaching
- Hands on Tech a series of fun and simple how-to sessions on key technologies for teaching in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- UVA instructor support resources
- University of Central Florida's Fundamentals of Technology for Educators with Dr. Kelvin Thompson a web-based course with publicly-accessible modules for those interested in educational technology
- Useful Tools for Language Lab users (coming soon!)
- File conversion help
- Shortcuts to access lab files
- UVA Course Materials (maintained by the Language Lab)
- The InterCom Newsletter, produced by the University of Oregon’s Center for Applied Second Language Studies, is a weekly enewsletter that contains a curated selection of language teaching activity ideas for K-20 world language courses. Also includes recent research and professional development announcements
- COERLL (Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning) features free, open access material in 16 languages